Lisa Markwell, editor of ‘The Independent on Sunday’, kicked this one off with A and B the C of D: Above and Beyond the Call of Duty, which reminded me of Katharine Welby, who calls herself ABCD, the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Daughter. Lisa also mentioned Biwisi: believe it when I see it. Here are 10 more.
- Cobra Cabinet Office Briefing Room A. There is, of course, no Briefing Room B. From Rich Greenhill.
- Wombat Waste of Money, Brains and Time. Thanks to Tom Joyce.
- YYSSW Yeah, Yeah, Sure, Sure, Whatever. From Henry Selzer.
- Kiss Keep It Simple, Stupid. Nominated by Gabrielle Laine-Peters.
- TLA Three-Letter Abbreviation, says Kulgan of Crydee.
- Banana Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone. Once favoured by David Cameron. Nominated by Mark Bassett as better than the well-known Nimby.
- Bogof Buy One, Get One Free. Sold to Professor Paul Cairney.
- Picnic Problem In Chair Not In Computer. Useful IT diagnosis. Laine-Peters again.
- Filth Failed In London, Try Hong Kong. With thanks to Keith Howitt.
- Flotus First Lady of the United States. From Nick Reid.
First published in the Independent on 23rd November 2014.