This list was suggested by Mark Wallace, and I am taking some of these on trust as they are from films I haven’t seen and, in the case of ‘Evil Dead 2’, have no desire to see. There were a couple of nominations from ‘Withnail and I’, but I didn’t understand them.
- ‘Stella!’ Marlon Brando as Stanley Kowalski, in A Streetcar Named Desire. From Omer Lev and Jess Bowie.
- ‘Groovy’ Bruce Campbell as Ash Williams, after he straps a chainsaw to his stump, Evil Dead 2. Nominated by Twlldunyrpobsais.
- ‘Bottom’ A minion’s response to Silas Ramsbottom introducing himself, Despicable Me 2. From Tony Payne.
- ‘Ahhhhhhh… ahh… ah… ah…ahhhhhhhhh’ Tarzan. Thanks to David Lindsell.
- ‘Plastics’ Career advice to the Graduate. From Western Independent and Omer Lev.
- ‘Rosebud’ Orson Welles as Citizen Kane. Possibly the most famous, although I’ve never seen the point. Nominated by many, including, er, Citizen Sane.
- ‘Attica!’ Al Pacino as Sonny Wortzik, Dog Day Afternoon. Nominated by Omer Lev and Robert Epstein.
- ‘Always’ Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. From Lutra Nippon.
- ‘Supercali- fragilistic- expialidocious’ Mary Poppins. Nominated by Labour History Group.
- ‘Madness!’ Major Clipton, The Bridge on the River Kwai. Recalled by Richard T Kelly.
Originally published in the Independent on 21st September 2014